2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge – Radiant Orchid
Today Adrianne from On the Windy Side and I are thrilled to announce that we are co-hosting the 2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge: Radiant Orchid! We really could not be more excited about this and can’t wait to see what amazing creations you come up with.
We’ve got some inspiring posts lined up, fabulous guest judges, information on where you can find awesome Radiant Orchid fabric to work with, not to mention the incredible prizes up for grabs which have been provided by our wonderful sponsors.
Grab our button and spread the word that the 2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge: Radiant Orchid is on now!
Below are the rules. We’ve tweaked them slightly from 2012 and 2013 when Ali @ a squared w was running the Pantone Quilt Challenge (thank you Ali, for graciously allowing us to take on the hosting of the 2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge!) so please read them carefully and let us know if anything is unclear.
All items must be started in 2014 to be eligible.
1. There will be 3 categories:
- Minis: Shortest side under 30″. Pillows, table runners, place mats, mug rugs, etc. will count as minis.
- Quilts: any size from baby to bed (shortest side must be at least 30”).
- Just the Top: any size from baby to bed (shortest side must be at least 30”).
2. This is the Radiant Orchid Quilt Challenge, so your project must contain at least some Radiant Orchid or similar purple. You can also use any other colours or neutrals you like (and as many as you like). That said, we would like to see Radiant Orchid as the feature colour of your quilt and we will be asking the judges to take your use of Radiant Orchid into account when making their decision.
3. You can submit one entry per category. Entries for quilts and minis should be completed projects, including quilting and binding.
1. A link party/gallery will be hosted at Play Crafts and On the Windy Side. Entries will be open from March 14 – March 21 2014. Entries will close at on March 21 2014 at 11pm PST and winners will be announced on March 26 2014.
2. Each entry should link to a blog post / Threadbias post / Flickr page.
3. Each entry should include quilt dimensions.
Now, onto the exciting stuff! Our sponsors have been more than generous, which means we have wish-we-could-win prizes on offer. Here are the details, and while you’re there, please check out our lovely sponsors.
Judged by Allison Harris from Cluck Cluck Sew
First place – Oakshott Fabrics – £100 Gift voucher plus free shipping
Second place – Stitchbird Fabrics FQ bundle of Ellen Luckett Baker’s Garden collection
Third place - Fat Quarter Shop - $50 gift certificate
Judged by Elizabeth Dackson from Don’t Call Me Betsy
Just the top
Judged by Lee Heinrich from Freshly Pieced
Finally, we would really really love to see an entry from absolutely everyone who feels the slightest bit inspired by Radiant Orchid, regardless of skill level, so an entry in each category that hasn’t already won a prize will be drawn at random, and will win one of: a $25 gift certificate from Sew me a Song, a $25 gift voucher from Polka Dot Tea or a $25 gift voucher from Pink Chalk Fabrics.
We also think it’s more fun when everyone gets to participate, so we will also run a viewer’s choice award where everyone can vote on their favourite creation! The winner will receive this amazing Radiant Orchid inspired bundle from Fabricworm.
We are delighted to have three fantastic guest judges on board. These ladies are seriously talented quilters, designers and authors. We love their work and know they’ll do a fantastic job when it comes to judging your entries!
Other important information:
We are well and truly aware that purple is not a universally adored color. Even if you’re really not sure about purple, we would encourage you to give it a try – you never know, you might be surprised! You can always just make something small so that it’s not a huge investment of time and fabric – and you know, it’s called a Challenge for a reason!
To give you a helping hand on your Radiant Orchid journey, on January 13 I’ll be doing a color series post on Radiant Orchid, and on January 21 Adrianne will be sharing some inspiring purple-featuring modern quilts.
We would love to see your creations while you’re working on them, so be sure to add them to the 2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge: Radiant Orchid Flickr Group, or tag them on Instagram using #pantonequilt.
If your stash is, like many, a little light on purple fabrics, a couple of our sponsors have put together Radiant Orchid themed bundles to give you a kickstart.
Pink Chalk Fabrics has put together this great Mulberry fat quarter bundle:
And keep an eye out for a post by Lindsay at Hawthorne Threads - she’s putting together some Radiant Orchid suggestions for you!
Phew! That was quite a bit, but thanks for hanging in there. I can’t wait to see what you make!