Looking Forward – 2013
A new year! All bright and shiny!
Do you make resolutions? I generally don’t, but I’ve started setting goals for things I want to try over the next year. I find it really helps focus my creativity.
So with that in mind, here are the list of things I want to try in 2013.
- Create a commissioned quilt – I’ve been asked by a few people now if I take commissions. So in 2013 I’m going to try saying yes to one of them, and see whether I like it.
- Do a 12-month long bee – I’ve done a few month-long or few-month-long bees now, and I really want to try a longer bee. With that in mind, I joined the Friends + Fabric 2 swap because it doesn’t require sending out fabric beforehand (for some reason that just seems daunting) and the group of people seem really fun!
- Make clothing – This is rolled over from last year, the one goal I didn’t get to. I made clothing when I was younger, but I never really enjoyed it. I feel now that I’m older I might enjoy it more because I understand the process better. I signed up for a Craftsy class which focuses on how to modify patterns for different body sizes, which I’m excited about! Now I just need to find some time to try it out…
- Learn to knit – I really enjoy having a hands-on thing to work on, and while I enjoy English Paper Piecing, I’d like to have more options. I have a groupon for a class that runs out in April, so I will have to do this before then!
- Learn to applique – This just seems daunting, I’m not sure why. However, the pattern I’ve come up with for my Madrona Road Challenge quilt would be a lot easier if I appliquéd it, so perhaps that is the impetus I need to try!
- Practice FMQ way more – I’ve learned how to do it, but now I really need to try doing it more. I am hopefully going to take part in the Skill-Building Block of the Month hosted by Pile O’ Fabric which is incorporating FMQ-as you go.
- Make a bag or two – Kind of similar to learning to sew clothing, I really want to learn how to make things other than just quilts. I’m in a tote swap with my local modern quilt guild, but I’d like to try some other bag patterns as well!
I don’t have a picture to go with this post, so I’ll leave you with a picture of our St. Bernard Mishka, to help wish you a New Year full of joy, creativity and lettin’ go!
How about you? What are your goals for 2013?