web analytics

New Project – Red Dragonfly

I started a new project (because I don’t have enough WIPs? I don’t know.) Apparently, I’m not done with aqua, orange and grey, though.

reddragonfly

The project is called Red Dragonfly because it’s based on a palette from a picture I took of a red dragonfly. I’ve always been fascinated by dragonflies, so I thought it’d be interesting to make a quilt inspired by the colors.

herringbonestack

I picked the colors and fabric before picking a pattern (which is backwards from how I like to do things generally), so I waffled quite a bit on what to make with these fabrics. However, after doing the Molli Sparkles Broken Herringbone QAL post, I really wanted to play with the zig zag layout, and the double stripes remind me a bit of dragonfly wings. So I decided I’d give it a go! I’m pretty sure the yellow on the left has too much white in it, but I’ll do a test block to see. It’s so hard to find the right yellows!

herringbone-layout1

I think this is how I’m going to lay out the colors, but of course it’s always up for change until it all gets sewn together. I’m not sure if this is going to end up as 9, 12 or 16 blocks. As you can maybe tell, this is not the most planned out quilt I’ve done.

Hopefully it will cool down a little bit this weekend and I’ll be able to get some sewing done. It’s been too hot to use the iron in the afternoons, and it takes a long time for the house to cool down. It’s really cutting into my sewing time. Unacceptable!

-Anne

 

 

I love comments, and respond to each one!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

12 thoughts on “New Project – Red Dragonfly”