web analytics

Quilt Design A Day

Yay, it’s Friday! πŸ˜€ I’m at a workshop today, and hopefully I’ll have fun stuff to share when I get back home. In the meantime, here’s another round of Quilt Design A Day (QDAD).

8-15
8-15: global spectrum

Last week I mentioned that we were having a medallion challenge in the QDAD group. Every day for a week we added a border to our central medallion. You can see the previous iterations on my post last week. For this latest border, I did an homage to Super Mario Bros. One more border to go!

8-16
8-16: color fawn

SKRRRREEAAA…. We interrupt this program with an important message. Don’t expect quick turnaround on laptop repair. I had taken my machine in to get the screen replaced, and it ended up taking FIVE WHOLE DAYS. My laptop is the only computer I have and I thought I was going to chew off my own arm in frustration of not having it. I did my QDAD old-school style, and wow it is a lot harder. This design was playing with the idea of the spots on the fawn and camouflage.

8-17
8-17: nature tones

I thought I’d play with transparency and stars using graph paper just to try out the new media. I have very few colored pencils which made it difficult, but I’m fairly happy with this attempt. In retrospect I’m pretty sure this chained/locked up look was reflecting my “omg I have no computer” mental state.

8-18
8-18: nature hues

After a couple days of terrible sketches and not-so-great designs, I came up with this one and was really happy with it. I apparently never got a photo of design #1, it must have been just that bad. I’d love to make this, it’s actually a fairly simple design.

8-19
8-19: succulent spectrum

This was a fairly dark design. I was looking back at my write-up and the inspiration behind this one was about barbs and the damage and scarring they leave behind.

8-20
8-20: nature’s lace

And leaving that note, my computer came back and VOILA! My finished medallion quilt! The last “border” (really just the bit at the top) is from one of my favorite games, The Legend of Zelda! The finished size is a rather large queen. With one inch blocks. I’m fairly certain it would weight a ton with all those seams!

8-21
8-21: color escape

After the medallion week, we took a break from challenges so suddenly I was having to figure out ideas again. There were others in the group working on progressive/deconstructing blocks, so I thought I’d try one. This was three tries at figuring out a way to treat the background color shift. I think I like the middle one the best.

And that’s the wrap-up! I hope you all have a creative weekend!

-Anne

I love comments, and respond to each one!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

14 thoughts on “Quilt Design A Day”