I went to my first sew day this weekend with my guild, South Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild. I brought four projects, expecting to finish two things and maybe have time to do a little bit on a third. Hahahaha.
I did however, finish my main project I brought, which was to finish the top made up of the NuBees blocks I’ve gotten over the past three months. I requested aqua, lime and yellow on white, and I received such great blocks! I decided to go with a simple sashing between the blocks, and ended up putting a border on it later that evening after this picture was taken.
I have the fabric for the back (I’m doing a simple color block using the three colors) and the fabric for the binding, but I probably won’t have time for them until next month.
I also worked more on my shattered chevron block. I made another block using thicker strips and put a border on just the top and bottom.
In the end, I decided it looked better with the full border, and I didn’t like the strips being quite this wide. I had made them wider so the block would be a little less stretchy, so I ended up splitting the difference and really liked the final width. I’ve made two blocks for my NuBees hive.
For this one, I kept things fairly lined up, so it’s a little less chaotic. For the second one, I went for a more chaotic look, and I think they both ended up being successful in different ways.
I have figured out quite a few tips and tricks for making this block, so I plan to write a tutorial on how to make them.
3×6 blocks – NuBee blocks are due first, so I’m trying to finish them up before moving back to the 3×6 blocks.
Wedding Quilt for April – 1/4 of the pieces are cut out.
Dissertation Quilt – 3 of 30 blocks done.
Nyan Cat Quilt – still in planning stage.
Linking up to the WIP link party at Freshly Pieced, as well as the building blocks Tuesday link party at Quilter in the Closet.