WIP Wednesday 20

Man the time is really flying! Where did summer go??

I had a lot of sewing that I needed to get done in the last couple of weeks, and I managed to do quite a lot of it. The South Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild is having their one year anniversary next month, and SueDee’s very graciously offered to have quilts from our guild featured in their store. Quilts were due tonight, so I was up late last night putting the finishing touches on my entry.

A while ago, I took a palette (created from the palette builder tool we’re working on) from an image of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, taken by Chris Willis (used under creative commons). I created an HST quilt, and I finally managed to finish that sucker up!

Santa Cruz boardwalk palette – photo by Chris Willis

I was going to just do simple echo quilting on the grid of the squares, but decided that I wanted something with a bit more movement (but still straight lines) so decided I should use diagonal lines which have more implied action to them. I finally decided on doing chevrons pointing inward, leaving something like an X shape in the center. I bound it with kona black, just to give it even more drama.

Half square triangles – front of the quilt

Back of the quilt

The back is two of the new Konas — parchment and oyster I believe. I used up the remaining HSTs from the front, and because there wasn’t enough for a full strip, I just filled it out with black. It’s simple but I actually really like the way the back came out.

This was one of those quilts that really didn’t come together for me until I took it out of the dryer. I’d liked it okay until then, but once it crinkled up a bit, I really loved it!!

I have a lot of other things in progress that I can’t show or aren’t to the point of even showing anything, but I have been making progress on my dissertation quilt as well. While writing my dissertation, I would coax myself through by telling myself I would work on this great big quilt when I was done and had time. I collected fabrics throughout the time I was working. When I finally sat down and pulled fabrics, I had something on the order of 96 fabrics for the quilt….Uhhh oops!!!

I decided I would make a Modified Bento Box quilt using the tutorial at Film in the Fridge, and finally finished cutting out all the pieces. I want it to be 30 squares (queen sized) which required a LOT off cutting. Finally I got a chance to make a few of the bento boxes, and I am just really enjoying the process. I’m not pushing myself to work on this one, I want to enjoy the whole thing since it will be on our bed. So no rushing, just when I feel inspired.

Here are the first 3 (only 27 to go…haha) of the boxes.


It’s going to be super hard to cut these into quarters, but I can’t wait to see where this quilt goes!

Linking up to Lee at Freshly Pieced’s WIP link party.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I love comments, and respond to each one!

20 thoughts on “WIP Wednesday